Skip to main content

Acute Subdural Hematoma Surgery

source
Welcome back to my blog! For today's post, I decided to do something a little different. I want to put up a Youtube video of a brain surgery that I enjoyed watching. The patient is an 83 year old woman who fell down and injured her head. 
This injury had given her acute subdural hematoma. Acute subdural hematoma (SDH), is usually caused by a head injury from a fall, an assault or a motor vehicle collision. SDH is a clot of blood that is formed between the dura mater (the brain's tough outer covering) and the brain. This blood clot is formed due to the stretching and tearing of veins on the brain's surface. These veins rupture when a head injury shakes and jolts the brain. 

This surgery is done by a brain surgeon who will cut open the patient's head and remove the blood clot. 

**WARNING: Do not watch this video if you are squeamish at the sight of blood!!! **

If you are not squeamish at the sight of blood, sit back, relax and learn something new!


Questions: 
1.  On a scale of 1 to 10 (one being the worst and ten being the best), how would you rate the surgery?
2. What did you think the most interesting part of the surgery?
3. Do you want to be a brain surgeon?
4. Did you like this post? Should I make more posts like this?

Are you interested more in Acute Subdural Hematoma? Here is a link to a website with more details: http://neurosurgery.ucla.edu/acute-subdural-hematomas




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1 Month at the University of Pennsylvania Update + Important Announcement!!

In light of the current college application season, I will be editing college essays for free (no strings attached!). If you want me to edit your essays, please let me know in the comment section below, and I'll reach out to you as to where to send your essays. Do not use the 'Contact' tab on the home page to contact me because it is currently not working. Like I said before, the best way to contact me is by commenting on this post.  I am a current freshman at the University of Pennsylvania (completely done with my college applications), and all essays will be deleted from my device after I finish editing them. Therefore, you do not need to worry about whether or not your essays will be plagiarized or used without your consent. I sincerely want to help you as much as I possibly could as you work on your college applications.  All the best! -Kristine __________________________________________________________________________________ Wow! I can't believe it has already bee

BIG CHANGES

Hey guys! Welcome back! It's been quite a while since I last posted on this blog, and I'm quite sorry about that. My schedule is QUITE busy. School got in the way and other extracurriculars. The volleyball season in my school started last week, and volleyball practice happens to occur EVERY SINGLE DAY!  On top of everything, I STARTED A NEW BLOG! It's not another pre-med blog -- it's a photography blog.  Check out my blog: Beyond the Lens. (Click on the link below to view my blog). I'm so excited about all the things I have in store for the blog. Beyond the Lens Do not worry guys! I haven't given up on you! I will still continue to publish posts on this blog, but not as frequently. I plan to publish a post once or twice a month -- so stay tuned! There's another thing I have to tell you guys... I plan to completely update this blog! My desire is to change the layout and the theme, and make this blog look AMAZING! This will happen in a few

Where Am I Heading to College? (It's been a long time)

Hey guys!!! It's been quite a while since I last posted on this blog, and quite a lot has changed since then. The current state of the US and the world, with the coronavirus and the brutal death of George Floyd, is crazy. I hope you all stay safe and don't forget to wear a mask! I have been so inconsistent in posting on this blog that many of you have little to no idea where I am going to college. If you want to hear more about my extraordinarily unique college application and decision experience, please let me know! Anyhow, I know all of you have been waiting for where I plan to attend college this year. After all, I did not even tell you the schools I applied to... I am glad to say that I will be attending the University of Pennsylvania this fall, majoring in biology and on the pre-med track (obviously!). I am beyond blessed and grateful for this opportunity God has given me. I cannot wait to spend my next four years at Penn! As for this blog, I am no longer a 'pre